Monday, January 26, 2015

Project Topics Brainstorming

Topic: The Voyages of Sinbad
Comments: I was really excited when I saw this unit. The stories of Sinbad were ones that I had always wanted to read but was never able to. I knew when I saw this unit I would have to read it at some point for this class and so I thought it might also make a great topic for my project as well.
Possible Stories: 
Sample Story Comments: I liked the story of Sinbad's 5th voyage. I liked this one because Sinbad has to figure out a clever way to escape from the old man who has enslaved him. I like stories in which people have to come up with clever plans and trickery to get out of situations.
Bibliography:
Sample Story: The Fifth Voyage
Book: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments
Book Author: Andrew Lang
Book Illustrator: H. J. Ford
Year: 1898

(Illustration by H. J. Ford)

Topic: Persian Fairy Tales
Comments: This idea was something very new to me. Persian fairy tales were not something I had put much thought into before but this class has gotten me interested in looking at all kinds of new stories and tales from all kinds of different cultures. I would love to do something new which I came in knowing nothing about.
Possible Stories: 
Sample Story comments: I liked the story of the Wolf-Aunt. So many times we see werewolf legends about men and I have seen many stories where it says female werewolves don't exist. So it was really interesting to read a tale about a female werewolf. 
Bibliography: 
The Wolf-Aunt from Persian Tales, translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer, illustrated by Hilda Roberts (1919).

Topic: Egyptian Myths
Comments: Egyptian mythology is something I have become interested in and having been looking into within the past year so I think doing a project on it could be a great opportunity for learning. 
Possible Stories: 
Sample Story Comments: This story was one that I was actually already aware of. I knew the story but I had never actually read the full story in it's entirety so I enjoyed doing that. 
Bibliography:  The Secret Name of Ra from Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907).

Topic: Cherokee Legends
Comments: As someone who is Cherokee I would love to be able to do a project that I could connect back to my own heritage.
Possible Stories: 
Sample Story Comments: This story was very interesting to read. Creation stories are always really neat because you get to read another view on how our world came to be.
Bibliography: How The World Was Made from Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney (1900).



No comments:

Post a Comment